After a night of drinking and dancing (my knee is much better thank you) on Saturday night I woke up on Sunday to a severe case of what is commonly known as “hanging over”. I received a text from a pal who said he was on the Upper Clyde so decided to get in the car and join him for a few hours.
Patched My Waders – Back In Action
Incidentally, I have managed to patch my waders - it was a most gratifying experience and deserves a post all of its own as I reckon they will last for a few more months barring anymore accidents with barbed wire fences. To counteract my aversion to barbed wire I contacted a guy I know about good access points and was pointed in the direction of somewhere that does not involve barbed wire fences and falling over – I headed there at around 10am to be met with a howling wind with the water at a reasonable height and colour. There was trickle hatches of olives coming off pretty much all day, there was also some Yellow Mays showing an appearance.
I ended up walking a half kilometre to a nice pool where I came across a rather distressing site.
Chops For Free?
A lamb had managed to get its head stuck in a fence and could not free itself. When I walked close it would immediately start twisting frantically trying to get away – it was obviously in a bit of distress. I tried to help it but alas its little horns were getting in the way and to be honest I was thinking the longer I spent with it the more panicky it was getting – its neck was already a bit sore and red looking from its twisting and turning – it was also chocking itself with its writhing. I was a bit unsure as to what to do – I mean I knew I had to do something. Its plaintive little “Meaaaaaa” was enough to fire me into action.
Usually I see lots of farmers buzzing around on their quad bikes but I had not seen any. I decided that if I could get word to the bailiff he could let the farmer know as he stays local. A quick telephone to the PR man of UCAPA should do it and this I duly did. Unfortunately the bailiff was off on other business so I took calls from people trying to work out where I was – eventually I got a particularly disgruntled police officer who phoned me to try and sort it all out. I was informed he would get in contact with some of his colleagues who knew the area to let the relevant farmer know.
By the time I finished fishing the lamb was still trapped – it looked ok and I am pretty sure it would be ok if it was freed that day – I think I did just about everything I could have. I met up with Alex later on who had a look at it but like me he had no joy in trying to free it. As it is the lamb’s fate has been haunting me – I doubt it would last the night if a fox got wind of it. A strong pair of wire cutters would free it, Alex and I decided, however he then pointed out so would cutting its head off which would be a lot less hassle for the farmer.
I hope it is now free and, err, happy!
I managed to do quite well actually – raising a few to the dry fly and a few to the dropper as well – yes, I have decided on an uneasy truce with the dry and dropper technique although still do not do as well as Alex (he appears to be on fire this season)
I caught a few of the stocked trout as well, they are nice and plump although do not put up too much of a fight – I led this one around a pool like a dog on a leash before unhooking it in the net.