After work I needed to fish – Initially decided the Clyde however at the point in the road where I had to make the final decision I made a sharp left turn and headed to the Kelvin. Mostly because it would mean I would get more time to fish but also because I have been neglecting it of late. The good thing about having a home river is that you can hit it when you think conditions are right.
The water was a little dirty but at a good height.
I used a dry and dropper as I did not see a trout rise pretty much the whole time I was there. I worked up the river slowly covering as much water as I could. I immediately lost a couple of trout – well when I say lost I mean they just shook their heads and were off. I was glad I used my five weight – it was blowing a gale, and I mean that literally. I think it is the first time I have used it on the Kelvin all year.
I did not catch any trout in the usual spots, I managed to hook some in odd wee pockets. After a couple of trout my pheasant tail nymph was looking pretty mangled. I wondered if Frank Sawyer had this problem with his nymphs. The traditional tying does not use any thread just copper wire and pheasant tail and this is what I use – the whole lot seems to have moved down the hook.
I could have fished on but it was now 7pm and the wind was getting strong – I was home by ten past.