So I spent ages last night making a fly – it was made entirely out of calf tail and looked great. I used some lead to help it to sink – I was looking forward to giving it a bash today – as it was the damn thing floated rendering it useless – you live and learn I suppose.
Yet again as soon as I left the house I nearly turned back – it was miserable – I left in rush hour as well (I have a day off work) and my bed was calling me back. Dark and bleak and pissing with rain. I thought the rain would be against me…
However I got to the canal at around 0830, strung up my rod and after changing my fly was almost immediately into a Pike – a nice one as well (I am getting a bit blasé about them now). I had taken the advice of some of my blog readers and was using a fly with a zonker strip as a tail, a black body with just a little bit of flash – oh and some white calf tail along the top wing style – it gave the fly a rather nice action as it kicked back in the water.
Number two Pike came a half hour later – within a few yards of the first – this was a bigger one and put up a fair scrap on the 9 weight. I could see the wire trace it had somehow managed to get it trapped around its gill – I had a choice – I have read how to chin pike out the water and I could have tried it with the Pike last week however as there was people watching me I decided not to in case I fluffed it. This time however I took a bit of time, unwrapped the trace from around its gill and found the spot where I was suppose to lift it – easy peasy.. a piece of cake – a quick photo
And then back in the water.
The rain came on pretty heavy however I played cat and mouse with another reasonably sized pike for a few minutes. It attacked the fly maybe 3 or 4 times, every time it missed I immediately put the fly back in the water and it attacked again. Eventually I think it spooked and went off to sulk. I fished on at the same spot for around another 10mins getting wet and then headed off home at around 11am.